The other day, I had a little knit-in with a couple of knitting friends here in town (Cindy and Kathryn.) Cindy had just decorated her condo for Christmas and we wanted to see all of her vintage decor.
While we were sitting around, I started cutting into a sweater, and Kathryn suggested that I do a little photoshoot so that you could see what I did.
The problem was that the neckline of the sweater was just too small. This is supposed to be a demo sweater for my next book (Take it from the Top: a how-to-design book.) Since it’s just going to be photographed flat, it might have been ok to leave it small, but it just bothered me that no human could ever really wear it. SO. I decided to make the neckline bigger.
Here it is pictured wih a package of Harmony Interchangeables so you can see that the neckline itself was maybe 4 inches lying flat.
So, the first thing I did was to insert a circular needle into the row of sts that marked the spot where I wanted the new neckline to be.
After All the sts were on the needle, it looked like this:
Then, I cut away the extra fabric, a couple rows above the lifeline (if you are really perfect, you can cut right at the lifeline, but I leave myself a couple of rows just in case I somehow jogged the needle and my stitches are not really all on one row):
Then, I tore back to the lifeline, picking out all of the sts.
Then, I just used the end of the yarn that was ripped out to cast off.
(My hands are a mess in these pics, thanks to all that bamboo dyeing.)